September 19, 2010

Surprise!

I really wasn't going to throw Justin a party.  He's not the kind of guy who wants a party.  I mean, I'm the kind of girl that wants a party and lots of recognition on my birthday (November 30th hint, hint), but Justin has always been pretty low-key about his birthday.  When I found out his parents would be flying in the Saturday after his birthday (September 2) thereby providing the perfect excuse to get him out of the house, how could I not throw a surprise 30th birthday party?  It was a small affair, and one that I know I forgot to invite many people to attend.  (Do you know how hard it is to come up with a guest list without being able to brainstorm with someone else?)  Anyway, to those I forgot to invite, I'm very sorry!

But it was really a huge success.  The only hitch was that they got back from the airport WAY sooner than anticipated.  People were supposed to show up at 6:30, and I got the text from Barbara (Justin's mom) at 6:10 that they were ten minutes away.  Yikes!  She did a great job stalling.  She told Justin that she'd been craving Dairy Queen all day.  Too bad the good folks at DQ are so efficient because I got a text at 6:25 saying that they were on their way home.  That's when Justin's sister Cortney (just arrived from NY) helped out by calling them and telling them they had to go back to DQ to get her a blizzard as well.  Two trips to DQ later, and we'd made it long enough to have a nice group of people at the house to surprise him when he arrived.  Too bad I forgot to get out my camera (or take any pictures at all), but I can assure you that my 30-year-old hubby was completely surprised!  I suppose the decor pictures I made for the event will have to do for this blog post.

2 comments:

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

so fun! what a great wife! happy birthday justin!

Heather and Dave said...

Happy belated 30th! There's just something about a hubby turning 30 that makes you wanna surprise them :) I did that for Dave last year and it was a total success!