April 06, 2006

Reasons why I don't take out the trash

I would say that I live in a pretty clean apartment. We do the dishes. We clean up after ourselves. We vacuum on a regular basis. We invested in Costco sized Lysol wipes. What we have a little problem with is taking out the trash. It just keeps piling up...like we're playing garbage Jenga, and whoever knocks the leaning tower of trash over has to take it out. Or at least, they have to remove the liner and put a new one in. It's embarassing to admit, but we've sometimes had as many as three full bags by the time it gets taken out. So here are your top ten reasons why I don't do it.

10. You might as well multi-task. Why take out one bag when you can wait a few days and take out two?

9. I assume my roommates would probably rather do it. They need the blessings such service renders.

8. My roommates assume that I need the blessings. (A big mistake on their part. I'm clearly already blessed far beyond anything I'd get for taking out the trash.)

7. Baby steps. I can't be expected to do dishes and take out the trash. Small measurable goals is the order of the day.

6. When my hometeachers ask if there's anything they can do for us, I like to have something for them. It helps them feel needed.

5. Those bags hold a lot more than you think. You wouldn't want to jump the gun and take out a partially filled bag.

4. I'm just thinking about the environment. I hate the thought of polluting our landfills with more garbage. So I keep it in my house as long as possible. (This is a completely invalid argument. It makes no logical sense, but then again, I'm a girl. I can do that.)

3. Our apartment is rather bare. Sometimes it's hard to tell if anyone even lives here. Several bags of garbage gives it that homey "lived in" look.

2. Germs and stench. Garbage is full of both of them, and I'd rather not associate myself with such things.

1. It's a really long walk to the dumpster!

What are your dirty little secrets? Is there a task around your house that needs some work? Please share personal experiences.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I also have a problem with laundry...not so much doing it, but putting it away. In fact, if there were one thing around which the cleanliness of my room hinged, it would be whether or not I have put away my clean laundry. If I do, then my room stays relatively clean (or at least not more than 5 minutes away from clean). If the laundry doesn't get put away, then it seems as though everything I own joins it in piles on the floor.

And I can't think of any good reason that you aren't dating anyone...

Anonymous said...

Beth, I'm sorry, but after viewing your top 10 reasons, I'm going to have to sensor your site-- at least for those living in this house. As the resident trash support specialist, I have to intercede. Why just the other day, I had to report a section 49.c violation: Placing items in the garbage can without a liner. This is a serious offense and you may rest assured that the violator(s) will be prosecuted. An investigation is currently underway. This is in addition to the more common violation, of which you are apparently a common offender: stacking items above the height of the trash can and/or reach of the trash bag (section 12.a). How you can live with your life of crime is a mystery to me, but that you would mock accepted trash removal principles on a blog . . . frankly, I am appalled.

I will need your ID and user information for the blog by Monday morning if you want to avoid further repercussions.

Yours in trash,

Dan