June 09, 2009

Watch out Bob Ross

I'm not exactly sure what possessed me, but I recently decided that it would be a good idea to paint a very large tree on the wall of our nursery. No, I have never actually painted anything, but I do have a deep and abiding love for Bob Ross and all the happy little trees he painted playing in the sunshine.

So how did someone so un-artistic as myself manage to paint an 8-foot tree on the wall? Well, I found this picture online:

Then I drew a grid on the picture and Justin helped me draw one on the wall. With the grid in place, I just had to go block by block and plot some points of the outline of the tree. Then I connected the dots and started painting:


Trying to blend the colors was the trickiest part. Here's the final product:


For an extra special touch, I "carved" our initials on he trunk. I did this because we are in love.


Here's the final comparison:










You may notice that my tree is a perfect reflection of the model tree. I decided that the big part should be on the left. Why? I don't know. It just seemed like that's how it should be. Anyway, the idea is that I will eventually gather pictures of our immediate families and hang them in the branches. Get it? It's a family tree. I'll post the final pictures of the nursery when I get it done. It's kind of still a storage room at this point, butI still have seven whole weeks...

11 comments:

jocie said...

i'm so impressed. well done!

Unknown said...

That looks great! Family tree -- very creative :D I never would have thought of the grid idea...maybe I'll use it someday.

Laura Bernard said...

I knew you loved Bob Ross, but I must admit I had no idea you had such talent! I am so impressed. What a lucky baby you're going to have, enjoying such an awesome nursery!

JJ said...

What a fun idea! And you did such a fabulous job!

JWolfgramm said...

I absolutely love it!! Great job!!

Asian Keng said...

I love it! So impressed!!

Asian Keng said...

You realize, right, that when you say things like "grid" and "plot points" and "outline" you are giving away your former math teaching years.

Bethany said...

And what is art if not a visual way to represent the beauties of mathematics...? I just wish all my former students could see me now so that they could see a concrete answer to the question "when are we ever going to use this?" I never thought to tell them "when you are painting a gigantic tree on the wall of your nursery." Silly me. I should have known.

Kristi said...

Dang, girl! You are amazing. I'm doing a tree in Claire's room, but I decided I would go with my strong point and do it in photoshop. The difference is that your baby isn't even born yet and your nursery will be done. Claire is 2 1/2... And let's not even talk about the storage room that is Alice's. She'll be one in September, and her room MIGHT be done for her birthday... You're way so far ahead of me! Good job. I am LOVING this tree! Who knew you had so many hidden skilz?

Heather and Dave said...

2 words...Saaaaa WEEEET! Nice work Bethany! That is beautiful and I wouldn't be surprised if your little lad comes early, because you've totally started the "nesting" stage of the pregnancy. That tree is super cute. What a great idea!

Rachel said...

Oh you ambitious girl you. Maybe you should come consult me on my childrens' rooms. Looks lovely!