May 21, 2007

Are we doing anything today?

I am amazed at the frequency with which I am asked this question: "Are we doing anything today?" My reply to my students is usually "Nope. Not today. Today we are just going to sit here." At this point in the year, most of my students have figured out that I tend to be rather sarcastice, although there is the occasional kid that in delighted anticipation of doing nothing grins and asks "really." At which point I shoot them down and say, "Of course not. How could we possibly just sit here, when we need to learn the Law of Sines today?" Why do my students ask me silly questions? And more importantly, why do they hope they will come to school and just sit here and stare off into space? I just don't get it...but I will share with you some of my most commonly asked questions, and some of my choice responses.

10. I was absent last time, did we do anything? Response: No, since you weren't here, we just sat here and did nothing. I know, I shouldn't be so sarcastic.

9. Are you going to grade this? Response: Yes. Ummmm...is that really a question?

8. Is this going to be on the test? (Now this is a very loaded question...because if you say no, everyone will stop paying attention and will not bother even trying to learn the information...) The answer to this question is always "Probably."

7. Can we just do the odd problems? Seriously, today I gave my students a handout with 10 little practice problems on it. After doing two problems, they all started complaining and asking if they could just do the odd problems because there were just too many. Sheesh. Response: Please tell me that you are really not that lazy?

6. When are we ever going to use this? Response: Next week on your test.

5. When are we ever going to use this besides next week on our test? Response: You're not going to use this...why do you have to be able to use it in order for it to be valuable?

4. Can we go outside today? Response: No. (Actually, I usually let each class go outside once...on a nice hot and humid day so that it is miserable and they never ask me again.)

3. I didn't have time to study last night, so can I take that after school today? Response: No. Did people ask this kind of ridiculous question when I was in high school? I certainly don't remember having the gumption to admit to not preparing for a quiz and thinking my teacher would let me come take it after school that day.

2. Is there any extra credit? Response: No, but if you started working on what we're doing right now you could get credit. If you got a little more credit, you wouldn't need so much extra credit.

1. Do we have to learn today? Response: Yes. (But in my head I'm often thinking, "you don't bother learning anyway regardless of what I'm doing...so why are you asking?")


Oh the joys of teaching...

2 comments:

Isabelle said...

This is so true! It reminded me of my student teaching days ...

Kristi said...

Ahh!!! The memories... I can't even tell you how much I don't miss that part. The laughs...I miss a little.